A New Foodstore and Petrol Station for Malton
GMI Holbeck Land has made a planning application to build a new foodstore at Wentworth Street in Malton. The store will provide a new petrol station and extended Town Centre Car Park for Malton and Norton.
At a glance
- A 4,530 sq m (gross) foodstore, similar in size to the local Morrison’s store, offering a new option for shoppers wanting to do a full weekly shop within Ryedale
- 3 hours’ free town centre car parking
- A new petrol station
- Over 200 permanent new jobs
- Highways improvements to the Pasture Lane and Smithson Court junction
- Improved pedestrian routes to Malton’s Market Place
If you want a new foodstore in Malton you must say so now.
Why should I support a new store on Wentworth Street Car Park?
- The store will improve competition and offer more customer choice for weekly food shopping in Ryedale.
- Improving the choice of main weekly food shopping facilities will reduce the need for local shoppers to travel to York or Scarborough.
- This will benefit Malton and Norton by giving people a further reason to shop in town. Currently around one-third of Ryedale’s food shopping is done outside the area.
- Increasing and improving town centre car parking. The new development will create 90 additional parking spaces. And with 3 hours’ free parking, shoppers will have ample time to visit other shops in Malton.
- Bringing a new petrol station to the town will help to boost local competition and means customers can take advantage of supermarket fuel offers without having to travel further afield.
- Boosting the local economy through the creation of over 200 permanent new jobs, further jobs during construction and more spending in the town generally.
How can I have my say?
If you want more convenient food shopping and more choice, please let Ryedale Council know.
Please email Ryedale Council to tell them why you support the scheme: firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting application reference 11/00927/MOUT
Your opinion matters!